Attitude

6/15/2011
I just clocked out at work. So why am I still sitting here at my desk, writing on my blog? Well that's because I'm waiting for Dan to pick me up but our current vehicle won't start. See, Dan sold his car a few weeks ago. It was a sad day for us all, but especially for Dan because that has been his baby for a few years now. We were planning on getting a new car as soon as the Infiniti sold, but what we were not planning on was selling the Infiniti three days after posting it on ksl! It went fast. Too fast. Don't get me wrong, we are very happy that it was so easy to sell...but we weren't prepared with a new car yet!

Luckily for us, I have awesome parents. My mom and stepdad have been letting us use their truck until we find a new car we want to buy.

{Now I actually wrote all of that last night, but I didn't have a chance to finish my post because Dan came to pick me up. But I never got to write the moral of the story! In fact, I never even got to start the story... So, here ya go.}

As I was closing down the office after a long day, and after waiting over an hour for Dan to get the truck fixed and pick me up, I was pretty exhausted and ready to go home. The last thing I had to do was close the blinds in the waiting room. As I was doing so, one set of blinds broke off and came tumbling down on my feet, along with the crown molding cover on top of the blinds. Small parts went flying all over the waiting room. I was ticked. My initial reaction would have been to let out a swear word or two, stomp my feet and walk away teary eyed because I was just not in the mood and I couldn't believe that just happened to me! Ugh. I was soooo frustrated!

But luckily that only lasted for a few seconds, before my logical, happy and optimistic part of my attitude jumped out and took over. "Meg, calm down. It's no big deal. You can make this ruin your day, or you can shrug your shoulders and let it go." And wouldn't you know, I actually listened to myself. I picked up the large set of broken blinds and, even though it seemed far out of my area of expertise, I worked on fixing them. Ten minutes later they looked good as new. And I had a smile on my face.

It's a silly little thing, I know...but it was a good reminder for me of how much my attitude can affect me. I could have stuck with my initial reaction which was total frustration, and I could have just left those dumb blinds laying in a heap on the floor. But instead I made myself make the choice to not get frustrated, I chose to have a good attitude and I fixed them myself. And what a difference it made! Isn't it awesome that we can choose to be happy or not, no matter what is happening in our lives? It reminds me of a quote I tell myself often when I'm having a bad day: "People never upset us, we upset ourselves. Our thoughts cause our feelings and behaviors, not people and things."

If I could do this every time I start letting life get to me, that would make all the difference. In fact, I think I'm going to work on that.

Hello, good attitude. I hope you'll stay awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment