My first resolution.

12/30/2013
Recently I started thinking about New Year's resolutions. My first thought about them was: I'm not even bothering this year. 

Unless my resolutions were to gain a good 30 pounds & then lose it before the year ends, or to get too much sleep in preparation for months of not getting enough sleep. Those seem like the most realistic resolutions at the moment, you know?

But then I was woken up at 4:00 this morning by a sweet two-year-old who wanted to "wock" in the rocking chair, and although he fell right back to sleep, I was wide awake until the sun came up. And if there is one thing I've learned it's that the best time for the most inspiring thoughts is definitely in the early hours of the morning when I can't sleep.

As it is, this early morning inspiration led me to set my first new year's resolution.

Be a better listener.

I often think back on conversations I had with people, whether we had just met or I had known them for years, and I often regret not listening better or asking more questions in genuine interest. Not just smiling and nodding, but truly listening and learning from people. Both people I do and don't know. 

I also often think about how grateful I am for the "good listeners" I have in my life. I think about what an amazing quality it is, to truly listen with the intent to hear. Whether I'm talking about my day or venting about something disheartening, just to be heard is such a grand thing.

And isn't it amazing at what a difference there is between someone who smiles and nods while there eyes glaze over, as opposed to someone who you know is genuinely interested in every word you are saying?

I love having conversations with people, and I love learning from them. It's mind boggling how much we can learn from each other when we let ourselves.

And so, my first New Year's resolution of 2014. I have other thoughts swirling around in my mind and I'm looking forward to making myself a better person this year. I know that resolutions are sort of a joke, in that we typically make goals just to not keep them. But for me, resolutions are hope and inspiration and recognizing the need for improvement.

I'm looking forward to this year. I like where I'm heading in life and who I'm becoming. I love my little family, how far we've come together and how hard we've worked for what we have. Life is crazy and unpredictable and nothing is guaranteed, not even tomorrow. But that's sort of the beauty of it, don't you think? We look back at the year and recognize how lucky we are to even be here, while looking forward and realizing how much we have that we shouldn't take for granted.

And even with no guarantees, we still try our hardest and make new goals and hope for good things.

Here's to 2014!

See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment